What do I know about Vietnam or what interactions have I had? What can I list?
- The beautiful hand-craved chest in my Nan’s lounge room depicting a typical Vietnamese town centre
- Vietnam War
- My friends who are Vietnamese and hearing them speak to their parents in Vietnamese
- That one episode of Top Gear where they went to Vietnam and rode around, mostly on scooters
- The many rivers that flow through the country
- I can list a few places and recognise the flag
This about the extent of my knowledge of the country. Out of all of memories, my earliest and most vivid is the hand-craved chest at my Nan’s house- the scene shows a bridge connecting two Vietnamese towns, with traditional food markets and wearing conical hats. It paints this glorious, harmonious picture of this sweet culture.
That is how I know Vietnam: the very traditional, rural culture built around…
View original post 882 more words