Adventures in Mistranslation – BCM320

dainafuller

For my digital artefact, I wanted to translate a piece of Japanese. As someone with very little experience ever learning another language and having zero knowledge about the Japanese language before I began this project I found it very difficult. I challenged myself to translate this page without the help of the internet, only using books to help me. After I finished I compared the results to Google Translates’ version, and then to the official translation.

As outlined in a previous post Ellis describes many different types of autoethnography, but for my project, I decided on having a ‘layered account’ that would ‘focus on the author’s experience alongside data, abstract analysis, and relevant literature.’ As you see in my video, all three versions of the final translation varied and varied quite a lot in some cases. I decided to do a bit of research about Google Translation, I found a

View original post 525 more words

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s